Tuesday, July 31, 2018

UFO's

As is my habit, I have neglected this blog. I'm not sure why. I love to write. But like the pile of UFO's in, on, and around my sewing table, so remains this blog-unattended to. So here goes another effort to refocus. It may stick, It may not. Time will show us I suppose. 

I've been pondering friendship lately. As I get older, the number of friends seems to be shrinking. I'm okay with that. Friends seems to show you who they are over time and some stay and some go. As is necessary with most things in life. There are people that no matter the time and space between you, things go on as though those parameters do not exist. Love flows without expectation or clingy "need". Just companionship, even from afar. A listening ear, a warm heart, a soft hug.

This occurred to me as a quilt appeared, suddenly completed, on my sewing table. It was as though, there was fabric for only a moment, and then it was a quilt, within hours. And I wondered how that came to be. And yes, I was the one that did it, but it seemed to happen of it's own doing. It has dawned on me slowly over the last couple of weeks that the quilt came to be so easily from a magical place. A connection formed long ago that despite years and distance, needed an affirmation of its existence. And so, literally, fabric was chosen (although I swear it chose itself), and a top was ready in hours. And then the backing was done and in another day the whole thing was quilted with absolutely no fighting from the machine. And now it lays bound and ready to be given. 

Seems to me, it's like that in life. We think we chose people, whether friends, loves, even "family". But in reality, they come as we yearn for them . Appearing at the moment most perfect, leaving, if they must, at the moment most perfect. Perhaps not a seemingly perfect moment, but perfect nonetheless.  

And so do quilts. Some come easily, falling together effortlessly almost. As though you are watching them happen. Some we struggle with. Fabric not quite right. Pattern not quite right. "Feel" of the whole thing not quite right. It's then that we most often, need to lay the fabric down for a bit. Whether the "fabric" is actual or not, you know what I'm saying. Just lay it down. Walk, breathe, move away from it for a period of time. Come back and see if clarity finds you and the quilt. (or whatever). When we "force" quilts together, they often leave us wishing it was different when completed. It is similar in other areas of life too. I am learning to just lay it down for a while. Come back later. See whats there to really work with. Perhaps it'll reveal where it needs changing. Perhaps it'll reveal a do-over. 

Perhaps it'll reveal that it's perfect as it is. I just needed to see with new eyes. 

Happy Sewing,

barb

No comments:

 Ok...I'm not big on resolutions at all.  But I do love to write. I just need more hours in the day. If anyone has a secret method to cr...